Thanksgiving is the time of the year when we reflect back on all of our blessings. I have a great life and much to be thankful for but in the spirit of the holiday let’s briefly take the contrarian view and consider six things that I could easily do without this year.
- Impending Winter: What can I say, I’m a summer person. Three months of sitting by the fireplace is nice but I’d rather be at the beach.
- Miley Cyrus: She’s gotten way too much “exposure” lately. Please make it stop!
- Technology Overload. I’m a gadget freak so don’t get me wrong, I appreciate how technology empowers us and enjoy working with my various devices. But I also remember when we could completely disconnect and enjoy the simple pleasures of life undisturbed. I try to strike a balance between the two but it’s often frustrating. Perhaps an island vacation with no Internet or cell coverage would take care of this and #1 too!
- Meeting Overload: Yes, they’re a necessary evil. But do we really need to have a meeting to plan the meeting about the meeting?
- Obamacare: Whatever your politics, the bungled ACA rollout affects us all. The current system is broken, but instead of correcting it, this failed launch virtually assures that political wrangling and the associated media coverage will continue. Other countries have figured this out, our politicians probably will too. But until then, we’ll be subject to talking heads of all political stripes debating ad nauseum. Ugh!
- Thanksgiving Store Openings: C’mon, do you really need to open up on Thanksgiving evening? Give your employees a break, the customers will be there bright and early and ready to spend on Black Friday morning.
I suspect that many of you could pass on some of these things as well. Is there something that you could do without this Thanksgiving? Please share it with us.
And unplug, unwind and have a great holiday!